Friday, January 30, 2009

V.C. Andrews Challenge #1 - Flowers In The Attic

Most families in books, at least books of any worth, are delightfully flawed and dysfunctional. You come to love them because of their ability to come together and rise above hard times. 
That situation is about as far from the Flowers In The Attic family that you can get. All of them, Corrine, Chris, Cathy, Carrie, Cory, and the father whose name probably starts with a C are perfect. There is literally nothing wrong with them. Physically at least. 
Chris has a large hillock of maleness resting on his hardened thighs.
Cathy has a voluptuous figure and bouncing breasts.
When I read the descriptions of these people I swear I gagged. 
And to add to that, they're all freaks. Complete freaks. No one in the book is sane or competent or even remotely likeable. 

So the story begins.
We are introduced to our family when they are all together, perfect, and happy. And then suddenly the dad dies in a freak accident. Oh deary me! Poor mother doesn't know how to be independent! So let's write off to our long lost parents who are very wealthy and will surely help us.
The thing is, those parents wrote mommy out of their will because her marriage was sinful and forbidden...for reasons I won't tell you. 
But still, Corrine hitches a train to go out to the land of the mansions and strike a deal with her mom. Her father is "close to dying" so if Corrine acts fast, she can get him to forgive her and write her back into his will again. Because it would be oh SO hard to go and learn how to work and make a living for yourself. No. For her it's all or nothing. Riches or poverty. 
But the catch is that the dying grandfather doesn't know about the four children his daughter had through her rotten marriage and if he did find out about them he'd surely never forgive her! Whatever shall we do know?
Oh I KNOW. Let's lock the kids in the attic until the old coot dies. 
So into the attic the Dollanganger kiddies go. They stay there for YEARS. There might possible have been some sexual activities going on. Or maybe some poisonings/whippings. Or maybe even some blood drinking. You never know what's going to happen when you lock up four siblings in a room unsupervised. And those lovely breasts and hard male parts just add to the fun. 

Doesn't this book sound HORRIBLE?! It was. It really was.
But for some twisted perverted reason, I liked it. Maybe not "liked" but kinda got sucked into it. It's so bad that you can't help but read. I apologize for my behavior. 

This is going to be one interesting year. 

10 more sensuous V.C. Andrews books to go.

9 comments:

  1. Omg, Liv is that how they really was described?? Oh god wow. I'm scared and I haven't even read the book.

    Wow, okay. Uhmm...yeah I'll just stick with the commentaries of the books instead.

    Btw nice pic! I would be most probably making shifty eyes if I was reading the book in public. ;)

    -May

    ReplyDelete
  2. This book sounds, so strange, but everyone, I mean EVERYONE I know is reading it! Probably because of the chalenge, but whatever. Maybe I should give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, that made me laugh so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha! You know, everyone thinks the writing etc is horrible, but I love these books. They're so trashy in a good way. Glad to see your progress ;)

    Steph
    p.s. could you remove captcha? I hardly get any spam (I think I've gotten two in the past nine months) and I don't have it - it's a whole lot easier!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You're right...the father's name is Chris too.

    Oh gawd how I love the original Virginia Andrews novels - they opened my eyes to so many things when I was but an innocent 11 year old still dreaming of unicorns and whole lands encased within trees.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hated that book.
    Especially the incestuous bits.
    Ew. Ew. Ew.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't have anything special to say. Just wanted to tell you I really enjoy the stories you find.
    There's something very special about stories like that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this book is one of the best books ive ever read.
    i read it when i was in 6th grade and 4 years later i still remember how mesmerized i was throught the book and the others that followed it in the series.

    ive read most of v.c andrews books but the one to really be shocked by is My Sweet Audrina !

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)