Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Perfect You by Elizabeth Scott

Kate's life is pretty much ruined. Her dad quit his regular job to sell vitamins from a booth at the mall. Her grandma who everyone hates, moved in to help them out because Kate's dad isn't making any money with his new "job". Her 23 year old brother Todd moved back in. And, Kate's best friend acts like she doesn't exist. The only thing that shines a little light into her horrible life is Will; the adorable boy who is notorious for hooking up with anything that breathes. Kate's hoping though that their relationship isn't like that for him, because she really truly likes him. But how can you tell when the only way you ever talk is through sarcasm? To get away from her life, Kate starts to close herself off and doesn't realize that the only way to be able to appreciate the good things is to live through the bad. And maybe, just maybe, everyone might have a little good in them somewhere.

I think that they picked the perfect blurb for the cover of this book. Melissa De La Cruz says; "I absolutely loved this book! It's funny, sad, and wise, and will make your heart ache in the best way." I totally agree with her. Perfect You was a completely refreshing and heart-warming book. I've decided that Elizabeth Scott and Sarah Dessen have a lot in common. In their books, they both tell about people who live with or go through difficult situations and they manage to do it with humor, integrity, and relatability that really makes their books totally readable. One of my favorite parts about this book was the characters. I think for me to love a book, the characters need to be well written and I need to be able to relate to them. Both things were true in this case. I felt that I was able to get really close to the characters and understand what they were going through even though I have never been through their situations myself. I also liked the dynamics of Will and Kate's relationship. They both had such a great sense of humor that I found myself laughing out loud more than once. I think one of my favorite characters though was one of the more minor ones; Todd. I loved how he went through his own set of struggles in the background of the book. It's nice to see a side character get some glory. So, all in all, I would definitely recommend that you read Perfect You. It's adorable, touching, and laugh-out-loud funny. And I myself can't wait for Elizabeth Scott's next book, Stealing Heaven which promises to be just as good.

12 comments:

  1. I loved this book a lot! I noticed how her books are like Sarah Dessen's too, and I like that. They are just so REAL. [:

    Stealing Heaven was wonderful. I've probably told you that before lol, but it really is good. It's a concept that isn't very common, but the writing makes it seem like it really could happen to you.

    Great review, Liv. :D

    hope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Hope, Elizabeth Scott is a lot like Sarah Dessen. Which is good because I love Sarah Dessen. :-)
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with Hope and Em, Scott is a lot like Dessen, I thought Scott's book Bloom was VERY good. It was one of my favorites from last year! I'm looking forward to reading Stealing Heaven, I've got it up next to read!
    -Mollie

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read this book!
    Heather has it, and she keeps taunting me by reading little quotes from it to me over the phone. It is infuriating. :/ I haven't read Bloom or Stealing Heaven yet, but I really want to read both! And her third book out this year, Living Dead Girl, sounds incredible.
    Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the comparison with Sarah Dessen. Since I love Sarah Dessen, I must like Elizabeth Scott too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm making plans on buying this book since I love Bloom so much and can't wait to get my hands on the rest of her books!

    ylin.0621[at]yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great review! I have to agree that the book was stupendous!

    linda9510 at gmail dot com

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm... I can never tell from reviews if I would like this or not. The flashy books that grab me with their high concepts always get the lion's share of my attention. Speaking of which, have you read Hunger Games yet? WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have to agree with Melissa of this one! It's fabulous!

    aimme21 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think you captured the book very well in your review.

    m_christina15@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I originally thought this was one of those brainless chick-lit novels from seeing the cover, but thanks for enlightening me about the truth. I'll check it out from a library if I can find it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually own this book but still need to read it. it sounds great though. i like when the minor characters get some "shine time". I often love those people the most sometimes. :)
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)