Thursday, November 27, 2008

Made To Last...The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold - intro and schedule

"My name was Salmon, like the fish; first name, Susie. I was fourteen when I was murdered on December 6, 1973." 
So begins the story of Susie Salmon, who is adjusting to her new home in heaven, a place that is not at all what she expected, even as she is watching life on earth continue without her - her friends trading rumors about her disappearance, her killer trying to cover his tracks, her grief-stricken family unraveling. Out of unspeakable tragedy and loss, The Lovely Bones succeeds, miraculously, in building a tale filled with hope, humor, suspense, and even joy.
(synopsis from back of book)

Thank you to the 31 people who voted about what book I should read. It was a tie between Judy Blundell's What I Saw And How I Lied and Alice Sebold's The Lovely Bones, and since I actually own a copy of The Lovely Bones, I thought it would be best to start with that one. What I Saw And How I Lied is next on the list though because I definitely want to read that one too and it won the National Book Award for young adult literature making it a must-read.
The name I've come up with for this feature is "Made To Last" as I'll be reading books that are renowned for being intelligent, enjoyable, and have made it through the trials and triumphs of the literary world
The way I've decided to have this work is that I'll be reading a chapter a day and posting about every three days on what I've read. If you'd like to join me in reading, that would be AMAZING. Kind of like a fun little internet read-along? Would anyone be interested in that?
If so, here's the schedule that I'm going to try to stick to, posting-wise:
Nov 30: Chapters 1-3
Dec 3: Chapters 4-6
Dec 6: Chapters 7-9
Dec 9: Chapters 10-12
Dec 12: Chapters 13-15
Dec 15: Chapters 16-18
Dec 18: Chapters 19-21
Dec 19: Chapters 21-23 
Look for my first post in a few days! And if you might possibly be reading the book along with me, let me know in the comments. :) 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds like a great idea. Ive just recently read this so I'll be stopping by to share my insight!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've read this book! it was a bit creepy at the beginning, but captivating as well! this book isn't for the light hearted, but it's overall a good book to read! Can't wait to see what you have to say about it:]

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this -- but I've heard good things. Looking forward to your upcoming posts! Maybe I'll get it from the library and read it through so I can discuss. :)

    hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read What I Saw and How I Lied, although I did not review it, because when I sat down to write the review, I found I had nothing to say.

    It was a good read, but I enjoyed The Disreputable History of Frankie Landau-Banks by E. Lockhart more, which was a finalist for the National Book Award.

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)