Friday, March 13, 2009

The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold

A book finished. Wow. 
Close those mouths; this is real. 

I started a feature thingy a while ago (as in November/December, I think) in which I decided it would be cool to read through a book and write down my thoughts chapter by chapter as I read it. Turns out, I am waaaay not dedicated enough for that because it was super time consuming and I didn't like that super OCD-ish dissection thing. So. 

Recently I decided it was about time to finish the book I had started so many months ago. I sat down one afternoon and read it all in one splurt. I think that for me, that's the way to do it. I can't do dissection. If you do that and get so wrapped up and the little miniscule things, you can't get the vibe and emotions of the book as well which I think is why I enjoyed the second half of the book A LOT. 

You can clicky on the "Made to Last: The Lovely Bones" tag thing in the sidebar if you want to see what I thought of the first twelve or so chapters.

Now to the review-ish part:

I can definitely see why The Lovely Bones has left such a mark on the literary industry/on people everywhere. It's a book that works on so many levels. Alice Sebold is able to take a story of one family's tragic loss and turn it into a book that, no matter your experience, almost everyone will be able to relate to. She does it with eloquence and simplicity. She does it with almost poetic like prose at some points, and stark, brisk words at others. She knows how to manipulate your feelings, create amazingly deep and insightful characters, and most of all, make you feel along with the book.

It's one of the few stories that I've read that has really moved me and made me question the way I see things and the way I judge people. I think it's a book you have to read to believe. My pathetic words aren't going to do it any justice. And I don't think I want to over analyze it any more than I already have for fear of ruining it for myself.

So yeah, this is my crappy review. 

Please read this book. It's amazing. It will move you. It will make you see things differently. And you'll love it. 

3 comments:

  1. Really? It's good? For reals? I mean... people keep TELLING ME to read this book but I tried to read another of Alice Sebold's books (something about a moon... or something) and it began with the daughter killing the mother and of course I couldn't read beyond that because my mind cannot fathom HOW THAT IS EVER OKAY, OMG. But this one's better?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very for reals good. :) I've heard that Alice Sebold's other book is crap but this one is legitimately good. Beginner's luck, maybe? You should definitely read it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i have this book on my bookshelf but keep putting off reading it. Your review was great, so i guess i'll read it *sigh ;)

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)