Monday, April 20, 2009

Little things... (#20)

In my journalism class we had to read and take notes on a packet that was about how you should write a review. There were some pretty fun quotes in there I thought you guys would like. I think they definitely fit.

Those who comment on the arts...Regardless of the level at which they perform, have several things in common. First and foremost is an innate love of the arts. The reviewer wants to go to the theater or concert hall or gallery. Reviewers will admit privately that they have the best job in the world. Second, the reviewer genuinely wants the object of his interest to be successful. This again flies in the face of popular misconception. Any reviewer would rather write good things than bad things, and would rather see (read) good things than bad things.

Also, yes, I'm still reading The Book Thief. It is one looong but good book. I'm really enjoying it. It's full of great description like this -

Yes, it was white.
It felt as though the whole globe was dressed in snow. Like it had pulled it on, the way you pull on a sweater. Next to the train line, footprints were sunken to their shins. Trees wore blankets of ice.
As you might expect, someone had died.


Another little tidbit - I think that I mentioned that if I got to 150 followers by the end of April then there might be a surprise. Well. That surprise now entails a copy of Same Difference by Siobhan Vivian, a $5 starbucks giftcard, and...other stuff. SO. If I do get to 150 followers in 10 days (which I find highly unlikely) there will be some fun stuff going on. I'm pretty skeptical that I'm even going to get close, but hey, a girl can wish. Plus, if you post about my plight on all of your lovely blogs you might be a teensy bit more likely to win the surprise. Just saying.

And some personal, non-literary news:
I bought the typewriter that I linked to in my last Booking Through Thursday post. I am so excited to get it and, if I do say so myself, it's completely adorable. The bad part is that I'm a horrible money manager so I had to get my brother to loan me money to buy it. And he's charging interest...


4 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you got that typewriter you wanted!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I posted about you! http://abebookreviews.blogspot.com/2009/04/help-out-liv.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! I love the typewriter. I actually have the same one (I think), just not in those [adorable] colors. Also, mine needs ribbon, but I have no idea where to buy ribbon.

    And The Book Thief is awesome, isn't it? I loved that part you posted.

    Caroline
    http://www.plentyofpaper-reviews.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, I love that. :) I almost bought a typewriter once at a garage sale for like 20 bucks, but decided not to. Wish I had now, lol.

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)