Thursday, April 16, 2009

Personalities/Classifications (#16)

In one of my classes at school, our teacher had us take these personality surveys. They were pretty typical questions and at the end they gave you a label - a four letter sequence. Turns out I'm ISTJ. We then received a packet with information about our types. It seems weird that the essence of your personality can be contained on a piece of paper doesn't it? And weirdly enough, almost everything that was supposedly typical for an ISTJ person matches me, which kind of makes me feel less unique/original. The fact that my little quirks and passions can be predicted like that is rather disturbing.

"ISTJs are characterized by decisiveness in practical affairs, are the guardians of time-honored intstitutions, and, if only one adjective could be elected, dependable would best describe this type."

"They perform their duties without flourish or fanfare; therefore, the dedication they bring to their work can go unnoticed and unappreciated."

"Often this type seem to have ice in their veins, for people fail to see an ISTJs vulnerability to criticism."

"ISTJs have a distaste for and distrust of fanciness in speech, dress, or home. The clothes of an ISTJ tend to be practical and durable rather than in the latest style or luxurious."

That totally describes me. Although, I have to say, I do like a little bit of fanciness. :) I'm not a bland person.

There were some other pieces of the article that I was skeptical of. Like, it says that I will marry an irresponsible person and our relationship will be more parent-to-child than adult-to-adult. And that that irresponsible person will be an alcoholic...uh-huh, no.

This personality thing really made me think though; can everyone be classified like this? Are humans and their personalities really this predictable? Are patterns like this that evident?

While there might be definite patterns, it makes me uncomfortable to think that people are that alike. I like to think of myself as unique and different. And while only six percent of the population has the same type as me, I don't think any of those people are exactly like me. I almost don't think that people should be catagorized and labeled like this. I don't know...maybe I'm just confusing myself.

What do you think? And have you ever taken a survey like this?

7 comments:

  1. I took the same thing in one of my psychology classes. I wish I still had the results. But I agree, just because it says we are these things it doesn't mean there aren't unique aspects to us all as well. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I took the Myers-Briggs test a few weeks ago, and learned that ISTJs are the most common personality types that librarians have. So if you ever think about being a librarian, know that you're perfect for the job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took it in psychology 2 years ago. I don't remember what I am, but there's no way that a test can say 6% of the population is going to marry an alcoholic.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm an ISFJ. (Already taken this test. xD)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would be really interested in taking this although I would bet I am an ISFJ too since that sounds just like me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, my name is Shelley. I'm new to the blogging world. I added you and look forward to reading all your reviews!!

    http://bookfanaticblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Apparently I'm an INFP, according to THREE tests.
    "According to Myers-Briggs,[11] INFPs focus much of their energy on an inner world dominated by intense feeling and deeply held ethics. They seek an external life that is in keeping with these values. Loyal to the people and causes important to them, INFPs can quickly spot opportunities to implement their ideals. They are curious to understand those around them, and so are accepting and flexible except when their values are threatened.According to Keirsey,[12] the tranquil and reserved exterior of the INFP masks a passionate inner life. Healers care deeply about causes that interest them and they often pursue those causes with selfless devotion.

    Occurring in only about one percent of the population, Healers can easily feel isolated. They value harmony and integrity in human relationships, seeking unity of mind, body, and spirit but often find these values to be out of step with the more concrete pursuits of the rest of the world. Feeling "different," they may wonder whether something is wrong with them. But those differences—an ethical nature, a devotion to ideals, a commitment to harmonious interaction—are in fact some of their greatest strengths.


    ..
    how interesting.

    It's somewhat correct, yet somewhat not?
    I don't think that these tests can really sum anyone up 100% but I do feel less unique :)

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)