Saturday, March 21, 2009

Booking Through Thursday/Saturday #26: Worst Book You've Ever Read

On Saturday

What’s the worst ‘best’ book you’ve ever read — the one everyone says is so great, but you can’t figure out why?

I have no idea. At all. 
Most of the books I read, I like. I'm super picky about what I read nowadays because, since I'm not reading as much as I used to, to read a bad book would be a horrible waste of time. 
A while ago though, I tried to read Jellicoe Road and didn't get into it at all. I guess that's my answer. Everyone says that it's amazing and that you just have to stick around until the end where everything falls into place but reading it was so extremely confusing and boring that I couldn't bring myself to finish. 
Maybe I have no will. Maybe I should have stuck with it. But, to me, that was a bad book.

7 comments:

  1. Catcher and the Rye.

    I've read it about 6 times and I still hate it. I keep reading thinking that maybe this time I'll like it. But I never do. In fact I hate Holden more each time I read it. My boyfriend and most of my friends love it but I really don't.

    Of course, there are other books that I dislike more but that's one that a ton of people love. Like Tolstoy, I've tried to read Anna Karenina SO many times, I get like 200 or 300 pages in before I give up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ahh, Jellicoe Road was amazing. I read it, 2 weeks ago? It took a while to get into, but it was worth it.

    But I understand where you are coming from.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried reading the Hunchback of Notre-Dame but it was fiercely boring (I still haven't finished it). Although, I really enjoyed reading The Iliad.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awww, I loved Jellicoe Road! But I do agree that the first 100 pages were very confusing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I tried reading Eat, Pray, Love because I had heard such good things about it. But I found it really boring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate the Catcher in the Rye, too, though not sure I'd list it as one of my all time most hated books. Maybe most overrated. I liked the book King Dork a lot b/c it actually points out that maybe a lot of the kids who Holden thought he was "saving" in his catcher in the rye head sequence didn't want to be moved around and "saved"...maybe they were happier as they were. Or something.

    I also hate when a book is considered super great and then I read it and...nothing. It's like, what am I missing?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I owned a copy of Hawthorne's The House of Seven Gables for 25 years before I came to terms with the fact that I would never get further than the first three chapters. I've deaccessioned a ton of really awful books from the school library where I work. If books are awful, I rarely read the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)