Friday, May 29, 2009

Booking Through Thursday/Saturday #35: Unread

On Saturday

Is there a book that you wish you could “unread”? One that you disliked so thoroughly you wish you could just forget that you ever read it?

Oh have I got a story for this.
So back in the day when I was a young and innocent second grader, I was very into the chapter book series like The Boxcar Children, Nancy Drew, etc.
I walked into the school library one day and headed over to the section that housed those type of books and decided to try something new. I picked up a Mary-Kate and Ashley mystery book. The Case of the Missing Mummy.
I went home that night expecting it to be like a crappy Nancy Drew book or just entirely fluffy and superfluous. What I didn't expect was to be scared out of my mind. I stayed up super late to try and finish it but had 20 pages left by the time I had to go to sleep. I had the worst nightmare that night and had to wake up my mom and get her to finish the book with me so I would know how it ended and hopefully sleep soundly from then on.
But that didn't happen. For the next two years I couldn't go down in the basement by myself and before going to bed each night I had to check in my closet and in the crack between my bed and the wall to make sure that there were no mummies hiding there.
It was seriously the scariest book I've ever read and it scarred me for life.
Curse you Mary-Kate and Ashley.


6 comments:

  1. Ha, oh dear. Who knew a Mary-Kate and Ashley book could be so frightning? XD Mary-Kate and Ashley... wow. I guess a lot of things are scarring when you're young. I remember being scared out of my mind at this one Honey, I Shrunk the Kids tv episode. Something about a mutant bunny... I slept with my parents for days after that. XD

    Funny story.

    - Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL. I used to read a LOT of Mary-Kate and Ashley books, and several of them were actually really creepy! What surprised me the most about those books was the fact that they were actually pretty good mysteries; I never guessed who did it before the end of the story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! My gosh, I used to love Mary-Kate and Ashley. In fact, I have that book sitting on my shelf right now. I never found it scary though, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved MK&A when I was younger. However I've not read that book. I read more of the newer ones though. Four years ago I was so envious of people who had the older MK&A adventures. HAHA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Aw! How horrible. I had a similar experience, but um, it was just last October. I watched the movie The Strangers and since then I've been scared, especially when staying home alone when my parents are out of town. The one thing I remember is when the killers are asked why they chose them the answer was, "because you were home." Yeah, that was seven months ago. And I'm 22! Haha, I would totally erase that movie from my mind if I could.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, that is funny, sorry, but it really is. But, the only reason I go down in our basement is because it is fully finished and have four lights in it... and my shoes are down there.

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)