Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Queen Geeks in Love by Laura Preble (vacation read)

Last year, Shelby Chapelle and her friend Becca founded the Queen Geek Social Club, and set out to find others of their kind. This year, Becca has even bigger plans for the Queen Geeks. She thinks working on the club's website and planning Geekfest (a talent show of geek-tastic proportions) should be Shelby's number one priority. Guys have always been strictly secondary to the goal of spreading geekiness to every corner of Green Pines High School...and then the world! But sophomore year heats up when Shelby is swept off her feet by the karaoke stylings of a guy named Fletcher. And then Becca and another Queen Geek fall for the same guy, which results in a cursed love triangle-or a doomed love rhombus, if you count Shelby and Fletcher. The going can get tough when Queen Geeks fall in love, but Shelby knows that being true to your inner geek is the most important thing.
(summary courtesy of Amazon)

Blech. I think there's just one word for this book; no. The whole geeky thing, while in the first book, it may have been entertaining, just got too over the top. Even sophomores in high school should be mature enough to not run around in super hero costumes out of a manga novel they themselves invented. To me, that's just a little weird. And I know that weird was what they were going for in the first place, but, I don't know, it was just too weird (did I use the word weird enough for you there?). I truthfully don't know anyone who would do the stuff that the Geek Club did in this book. And throughout the whole thing, you have all these guy issues that just got repetitive and boring. Shelby likes Fletcher, Shelby can't commit, Fletcher's sad, Shelby and Fletcher make up, Fletcher wants to take it a step further, Shelby backs away, Fletcher dates another girl, and in the end they happily get back together. If that wasn't enough for you we have the whole Becca is in love with Jon who is in love with Amber thing going on. Which, oh my, threatens to break up their friendship. The book was really slow, boring, unoriginal, and just plain dreary. Like the first one, I found no reason to keep reading, although I did, just to say I finished the book. The one good part of the book for me was the karaoke bit. Although highly predictable, I loved that whole part of it. What can I say, I'm a sap for that kind of stuff. But really, unless you're just looking for a way to pass time, don't read this book. It's just not worth it. I'm sad to have written such a bad review...maybe the third book will change my mind. *crosses fingers*

1 comment:

  1. I have yet to read this series, but now I'm kinda dreading it, lol.

    By the way, where did they run around in the costumes? Because depending on where they were and what was going on, they could've just been cosplaying, which people of all ages do.

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)