Monday, July 28, 2008

Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr

Rule #3: Don't stare at invisible faeries. Aislinn has always seen faeries. Powerful and dangerous, they walk hidden in the mortal world. Aislinn fears their cruelty - especially if they learn of her Sight - and wishes she were as blind to their presence as other teens.
Rule #2: Don't speak to invisible faeries. Now faeries are stalking her. One of them, Keenan, who is equal parts terrifying and alluring, is trying to talk to her, asking questions Aislinn is afraid to answer.
Rule #1: Don't ever attract their attention. But it's too late. Keenan is the Summer King, who has sought his queen for nine centuries. Without her, summer itself will perish. He is determined that Aislinn will become the Summer Queen at any cost - regardless of her plans or desires.
Suddenly none of the rules that have kept Aislinn safe are working anymore, and everything is on the line: her freedom; her best friend Seth, her life; everything. Faery intrigue, mortal love, and the clash of ancient rules and modern expectations swirl together in Melissa Marr's stunning twenty-first-century faery tale.
(Summary from jacket flap)

This must be one of the greatest modern fantasy books ever. I'm a fan of the Tithe series, but that series pales in comparison to Wicked Lovely. It's got suspense, romance, hot guys, magic, and an amazing style. I really couldn't put it down until I was done and I haven't had that happen for a long time. I loved how addicted I got. The faster I read, the faster I felt I needed to go in order to see what would happen next. I also liked how the whole magical aspect of the book didn't feel cheesy or overdone but it was almost as if you could imagine a faery world like the one in the book actually existing. The twists thrown in at the end were the best part by far. The author kept you clueless about some key parts of the story until the very end, when everything got wrapped up cleanly. Another one of my favorite parts was Seth and Aislinn's relationship. Seth was a completely honest and genuine guy who is now going on my list of ideal fantasy boyfriends. He did so much for Aislinn and believed her when no one else would. Which was a little weird to me because I don't think I'd automatically believe someone if they came and told me that faeries were stalking them. I've gotta give Seth props for that. Towards the end, I also grew to have some amount of respect for Keenan too, unexpectedly. Melissa Marr did a great job of making the characters and situations real and personal. I am completely looking forward to the next book Ink Exchange. If you haven't read Wicked Lovely yet, I don't know what you've been doing. I waited way too long to pick up this book.

6 comments:

  1. I was hesitant about getting this book because it was a hardback but when I finally did get it, I liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely want to read this book! Do you know how many there are going to be after the first two?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alea- There's gonna be a total of 6 novels and a 3 volume manga series. The third book is called Fragile Eternity and will be out next spring, prolly around the same time Ink Exchange was released.

    Great review!! :) I loved this book, and Melissa is such a lovely person. I've been to two of her signings in Northern VA, one for WL and one for IE. She's just so cool and fun to talk to in person.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Book chic- oh wow 6! and manga! Wow! I better get started soon. I"m just imagining these beautiful covers all lined up with one another!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alea- Well, you have plenty of time. The third book won't be out til next May, and it'll be the same for the others (i.e. one a year). Plus, mangas don't take that long to read, so no worries there either.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Er.. when you are a packrat like me it takes years to get to books (or in some cases more than a decade..), it's horrible! I really am excited to read Wicked Lovely though. Thinking of buying it sometime soon. I really like that there is going to be manga incorporated. I read other sorts of comics but definitely am interested to see how this all weaves together!

    ReplyDelete

Pour your heart out. :)