Saturday, October 25, 2008

Anatomy of a Boyfriend by Daria Snadowsky

Before all this happened, the closest I'd ever come to getting physical with a guy was playing the board game Operation. Okay, so maybe that sounds pathetic, but it's not like there were any guys at my high school who I cared to share more than three words with, let alone my body. 
Then I met Wes, a track-star senior from across town. Maybe it was his soulful blue eyes, or maybe my hormones just started raging. Either way, I was hooked. And after a while, he was too. I couldn't believe how intense my feelings became, or the fact that I was seeing-and touching-parts of the body I'd only read about in my Gray's Anatomy textbook. You could say Wes and I experienced a lot of firsts together that spring. It was scary. It was fun. It was love.
And then came the fall.
(Summary from jacket flap)

It took me long enough to get to this book, eh? Everyone else has been reviewing it and so I decided to step on board. And while it wasn't a completely phenomenal book and it didn't move me emotionally, it was a solid novel. The thing I think I enjoyed the most was how Dominique was just a regular teen girl who had the same thoughts as any of us do. She's probably one of the most realistic characters I've read about in a long time. The author really knew how to write about teens so that we could actually relate to them. On the other hand, I hated the character of Wes. He was a total idiot and every time he did something stupid I wanted to throw the book against the wall. And the sad thing is that there are guys like him out there! I'm scared for my future. :P The other thing I liked about the book was how Wes and Dominique's relationship was orchestrated beautifully. While I might have hated Wes, he and Dom interacted in a way that was real. It wasn't a fake sugar-coated romance, it was the real deal. Grit, tears, and all; and that was what really made this book worthwhile to read. We often read books about fairytale romances where the boy and the girl fall madly in love and then make out in random places until the end of the book where they pledge to each other to stay together forever. Sometimes that might be fun and enjoyable to read about, I know I like some fluff occasionally, but now and then we need a wake up call which is where Anatomy of a Boyfriend comes in. The plot is slightly predictable, the guy is a total snake, but the relationship Wes and Dom have is what makes the book worth reading. I'd definitely recommend it, but beware of the graphic content.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pour your heart out. :)